Cats are the friendliest pets, which is why we keep them as pets, however, as with humans, some can be sensitive and require more attention and consideration as they grow older.
One of the primary areas to monitor and take particular attention to is what you feed your cat as it ages. This is due to the fact that cats do vomit when their food is not digested. This could be due to a sensitive digestive system which can change as your cat ages.
Vomiting is commonplace in cats but nevertheless it should not be assumed it does not need attention. You will be able to tell if it is a result of a hairball by checking the vomit. If it is not you may need to review the type of food you are feeding your cat.
This article will give you the information you need to help in deciding the best cat food for older cats that vomit so you can reduce the unpleasant and upsetting feeling of your cat vomiting.
Why Do Your Cats Vomit?
There are many reasons why your cat may vomit and it is worth noting the type of cat vomit and when you should worry about your cat vomiting. To assist your understanding, below are some of the most common reasons your cat vomits; these include;
- Ingestion of harmful items or substances from your home
- Serious kidney problem or infection
- Undigested food. From time to time your pet may just eat too quickly and expel their entire meal. This is known as regurgitation.
- Internal parasites can cause vomiting.
- Food sensitivities and asthma or allergies.
- Grass, carpet, and toilet paper are just a few things cats may also digest and later vomit.
- Irritation or inflammation of the pancreas.
- Overactive thyroid gland.
- Food poisoning.
- Inflammatory bowel illnesses.
Tips on How to Prevent Cat Vomiting
It can be arduous to keep up with cleaning the mess from the cats, as well as being worried about them being unwell, there are measures you can take to prevent the mess that results from the cat’s vomits. These include;
- Always keep toxic chemicals, such as medications, cleaning products and other unsafe materials out of your cat’s reach or areas your cat frequents. Cats are curious creatures so they might smell, rub against or consume things that are not good for them and can cause harm.
- Keep your cat out of the garage or storage shed where most homes have antifreeze spills or other chemicals that your cat may ingest, rub against or smell. These can get into your cat’s digestive tract.
- Always brush your cat’s fur/coat to reduce hair ingestion from self-grooming. This is the most common cause of hairballs and cat vomiting.
- You can also feed your cat hairball-reducing food which provides extra fiber or give them a cat laxative to assist with passing hairballs more easily rather than vomiting. Laxative should not be given regularly but can help when you notice your cat vomit a hairball, to help pass the rest via their digestive system. Follow the instructions on the cat laxative like this one.
- If your cat eats so quickly you may be best to attempt to slow down their speed by either, or both, putting a ball (or object) in their feeding bowl or feed them small portions more regularly to prevent overeating which may lead to regurgitation.
- If you have observed the vomiting as a result of an allergic reaction or hypersensitivity should seek the advice of a veterinarian or try changing their diet to a low weight diet for sensitive cats.
- A veterinary examination can help in deciding action to take based on the diagnosis.
- If you decide to change your cat’s diet you may need to try a variety of options to find what suits both the issue causing the vomiting and also your cat’s preferred tastes.
- Encouraging your cat to drink by having plenty of fresh water available is very important to prevent dehydration which can occur when they are vomiting.
Why Do Cats Vomit?
Your cat vomiting is fairly common for felines to do occasionally but it is worth keeping in mind that if it happens more regularly it could be an issue.
If you have a longer haired cat you will find they are more likely to vomit hairballs but there are other reasons that could cause your cat to vomit. These include; allergic reaction, hypersensitivity, overeating, eating too quickly, internal parasites, kidney problems, poison, ingestion of harmful items, some of which can cause an infection.
Tips on How to Induce Vomiting in Cats
If your cat has ingested something harmful you may need to get your cat to throw up to get the toxic substance out of their system. To induce vomiting could be bad your cat’s well being but there are risks you could take in a potentially life threatening situation to induce vomiting, such as;
- Syringing a weak solution of 3% hydrogen peroxide to water into the cat’s mouth. This is probably the most effective way to induce emesis.
- Use activated charcoal by way of offering one gram (1g) per kilogram (kg) of the cat’s weight to soak up impurities, poison and toxic substances.
- Introducing a cat enema to help the cat pass the substance.
- Take the cat to the vet clinic for the induction of emesis without delay.
When Should I Be Concerned About My Cat Vomiting?
Vomiting is not unusual in cats but how do you know when you should be concerned about your cat vomiting? A lot comes down to the frequency and the type of vomit as mentioned above. Things to consider include;
- Vomiting occurs daily for 2-3 times per day.
- If the vomit is mixed with blood.
- Continual or intermittent vomiting and diarrhea.
- Swallowing indigestible substance is common and serious and can be the cause of vomiting, one that will likely require swift veterinary attention.
- The vomit is a thick yellow bile and is accompanied by lethargy, loss of appetite or interest in food, or the reverse being an abnormal increase in appetite or abnormal behavior that could be the sign of a kidney issue.
Does Grass Make Cats Vomit?
In short, yes!. Cats do not have the enzymes needed to digest grass so it forces the cat to vomit shortly after consuming it. If your cat feels unwell you will often see them nibble on grass which is their way of invoking vomiting.
What to Do When Your Cat Vomits?
Whenever your cat vomits you should consider these actions;
- Stop feeding your cat for around 12-24 hours, but make certain they have access to plenty of freshwater.
- Check the vomit to see if it contains traces of blood. In the event it does you should seek the advice of a veterinarian.
- After 12-24 hours, you can feed your cat a mix of small quantities of skinned and boned chicken breast with rice at an equal portion.
Can Cats Vomit Up Worms?
Yes. They do vomit worms they have been infected with roundworm or when they have ingested or consumed an infected insect or mouse or while the cat is infected with physaloptera.
Best Cat Food for Vomiting:
Hill’s Science Diet Dry Cat is high quality and scientifically formulated to address issues and sensitivities in felines. They use top quality ingredients such as real chicken, natural ingredients like nutrients, minerals, and amino acids.
It does not contain additives such as artificial colors, preservatives, flavors or chicken derivatives. The ingredients used for making this dry cat food has passed through high quality standards and measures to ensure your cat will get the stringent formula that is safe for them and addresses their needs.
Your aging cat will have the benefit of this food because the food is meant for sensitive stomachs and dry skin. It has been designed to provide optimal digestive health whilst nourishing skin and promoting a lustrous intestine.
In addition it makes use of prebiotic fiber which fuels your older cat’s lower intestine micro organism to lend a hand in supporting a balanced microbiome for lifelong well being}.
Besides this cat food is easily digestible to allow your cats’ stomach to process quickly so you have an easier litter box cleaning. The presence of Vitamin E and Omega 6 helps to nourish the cat’s skin and support a healthy fur coat.
- Manufactured from top quality ingredients.
- The ingredients have passed through high quality standards and measures for safety and health.
- The cat food is excellent for older cats with sensitive stomachs and dry skin conditions.
- It doesn’t contain any additives or artificial ingredients.
- Not necessarily the right for cats with allergic reactions or hypersensitivity.
Purina Pro Plan is a dry cat food that is formulated with top quality nutrients making it effective for older cats with sensitive skin and stomach that means it can possibly give a boost to strengthen the well being of your cat.
Fill your cat’s dish daily with Purina Pro Plan dry cat food to allow your cat to benefit from the meal that has lamb as the key ingredient and also boosts their immune system to be healthy because the dry cat food is fortified with probiotics and antioxidants.
The natural prebiotic additionally helps to nourish specific intestinal bacteria for proper digestive health for your cat.
Besides, the food includes rice and oatmeal that is easily digestible and gentle on the digestive tract of the cat and includes fatty acids for nourishing the cats’ skin and coat.
Furthermore, the food is boosted with vitamin A to assist with healthy night vision, making it an advanced and nutritious dry cat food at an affordable price.
- Fortified dry cat food that boosts the cat’s immunity and supports night vision.
- It is easily digestible.
- It is reasonably priced.
- The product has been through a thorough safety testing process.
- It nourishes intestinal bacteria to boost digestive tract health and promotes healthy skin and coat.
- It is only intended for adult cats.
Senior wet cat food is proudly made in Purina-Owned U.S facilities and the entire ingredients used for making the food have passed through rigorous tests during the production to make sure it is of high quality and safe for cat consumption.
The advanced formula used in this cat food manufacture helps to assist the cat’s urinary tract health, weight management, boosts your older cat from 7+ years in a healthy way and targets the nutrition that is essential for your cat’s needs.
The key formula of this food comprises real meat, and/or fish to offer protein with great taste making it a favorite and classic wet cat food.
Besides, this premium wet cat food also contains antioxidant beta carotene, vitamin E prebiotic fiber from chicory root, OMEGA 3 fatty acid from fish and OMEGA-6 fatty acid from soybean. A majority of these nutrients help and boost the cat’s digestive tract, promote healthy fur and coat, and improves its immunity.
- Advanced and high quality ingredients.
- The ingredients have undergone a thorough safety test for feline consumption.
- Promotes healthy urinary and digestive tract.
- Boosts the cats’ immunity and improves skin health.
- Perfect for senior and adult cats.
- Not suitable younger cats or kittens
Wellness canned wet cat food is one of the very best cat foods for cats of all ages; kitten, senior, and adult. The food is manufactured with the advice of nutritionists, veterinarians, and animal lovers to promote the wellness of your cat by improving their energy, immunity, healthy digestive tract, and make their skin and coat lustrous and healthy.
This is because the formula is made with a superb recipe that gives an excellent balance of nature’s finest ingredients to nourish and maintain your cat’s wellness.
This tasty grain-free cat food constitutes minced chicken as the key nutrient and includes healthy fats, fruits, and vegetables without using wheat, corn or soy, and other components or preservatives.
The recipe includes ingredients that promote hydration and vitamin C, increasing your cat’s thirst to promote liquid consumption for urinary tract well being and preventing harmful bacterial infection in the urinary tract and for immunity support. It also incorporates fiber, OMEGA 3 fatty acids and flaxseed for good digestion, and a shiny coat.
- Good for all ages of cats.
- Variety of flavors to suit all cat’s tastes.
- Does not contain preservatives and chemical additives.
- Promotes good digestion and improves urinary tract health.
- Contains fatty acids which promote a shiny coat.
- Not good for cats allergic to chicken.
Blue Buffalo cat food formulation meets your cat’s stage of life and needs, from hairball and weight control to sensitive stomach and healthy recipes for older cats making it a premium-quality cat food.
The dry cat food recipes are made with natural ingredients enhanced with nutrients and minerals. They are made with real meat as a prime ingredient, they include wholesome grains, vegetables, fruit, and are antioxidant-rich.
This supports your older cat’s general well being and healthiness. The high quality of the protein and fiber sources aid digestive health, contain essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants for immune system support and it is balanced with proteins and fats to maintain body weight.
The sensitive stomach cat food is formulated with FOS prebiotics to help to support your cat’s digestive well being and promote nutrient absorption. Plus, it incorporates Omega 3 and six fatty acids to promote a shiny coat and healthy skin.
It includes fructooligosaccharide (FOS) which is a plant sugar prebiotic that increases healthy bacteria/probiotic organisms in the gut to help the digestive well being, and taurine which is an amino acid that can not be created by cats on their own. This assists with eye and heart health.
- Made with natural ingredients that are enhanced with minerals and vitamins.
- The food is good for cats with sensitive digestion and skin.
- The dry cat food is well balanced to maintain your cat’s ideal body weight.
- Contains taurine; an amino acid that helps eye and heart well being.
- It does not contain additives and preservatives.
Iams Proactive Health Sensitive Stomach Adult Cat Food is specially designed for adult cats with sensitive stomachs and skin. The dry cat food is made with real turkey as the primary ingredient and is formulated without soy or wheat.
Its recipe incorporates a unique fiber mix of prebiotics and beet pulp, which helps your cat’s digestion, improves its immunity, and aids nutrient absorption making it good for digestive health.
Plus, it helps your adult cat maintain strong muscle tissue with high-quality protein and a flavor cat’s love. For cats with sensitive skin, this formula is made with Omega-6 and Omega-3 fatty acids to form a shiny coat and to nourish sensitive skin, so your cat can look and feel its very best.
- Good for adult cats and all ages.
- Incorporates high-quality ingredients that promote strong immunity and muscle strength.
- Improves the health of the digestive tract and nourishes the cat’s sensitive skin.
- The formula is free from additives and preservatives.
- Lacks amino acids for good night vision.
Your cat will benefit from this wet cat food because it is designed for sensitive stomachs. As with other products mentioned in this article it contains prebiotic fiber which fuels your older cat’s but bacteria to help in supporting a balanced microbiome for lifelong well being.
It is grain-free and easily digestible to allow your cats’ stomach to process quickly for easy bowel movements making litter cleaning easier. The formula includes Vitamin E and Omega 6 fatty acid to nourish the cat’s skins and support a healthy fur coat.
Hill’s Science Diet is made with real meat, salmon protein and natural ingredients such as vitamins, minerals and amino acids. It does not contain synthetic materials like artificial colors, preservatives, flavors or meat by-products. The ingredients used have passed stringent safety and quality standards.
- Made from top quality ingredients.
- The ingredients have passed stringent safety and quality checks.
- Good for adult cats with a sensitive stomach and dry skin.
- It does not contain any additives or artificial ingredients.
Purrfect Bistro recipes are 100% grain-free, very digestible and high in essential fatty acids such as Omega-6s and Omega-3s to enhance the cat’s fur and skin.
The grain-free dry cat food is complete with a nutritious diet of protein and moisture content, good fats and a low level of carbohydrates. The recipe of this dry cat food includes prebiotics and probiotics to support optimal digestion and is crafted with an easily digestible protein, and is well balanced with a low-calorie mix to assist a healthy weight.
It features L-Carnitine and antioxidants for your cat’s metabolism and improves the cat’s immunity. It does not include additives and preservatives.
- Good for cats with sensitive digestion and delicate skin.
- Easily digestible protein and is well balanced with a low-calorie content to support a healthy weight.
- It is available in a variety of flavors.
- Does not contain preservatives and additives.
- Formulated with prebiotics and probiotics to aid digestion
- For adult cats only.
Solid Gold Holistic Dry Cat Food is formulated for less active adult and mature cats of all sizes. This grain and gluten-free cat food boasts well-balanced nutrition to fuel your cat’s tiger-like abilities.
It is jam-packed with top quality quail, a lean protein, a novel blend of purposeful super foods like juice, pulp and rind to supply fiber and antioxidants for your cat to thrive. Solid Gold makes use of patented protection to assure its food contains living probiotics.
Probiotics help the immune system and digestive system to combat disease and ensure a balanced digestive system.
Solid Gold dry cat food is fueled with Omega 3 6 fatty acids from Ocean Fish Meal and Salmon Oil which offer EPA and DHA for building the immune system, cognitive and heart health.
It includes fiber-rich pumpkin and is ideal for cats with sensitive stomachs or digestive upsets to stay active. Its formula can lead to better digestibility, more energy and healthier skin and coat.
- It is gluten and grain-free.
- Includes probiotics to boost the cat’s immunity and digestive system.
- The formula is easily digestible and rich in fiber.
- Contains Omega 3 and 6 to help healthy pores and skin.
- Well balanced with nutrients.
- Only for adult and senior cats.
Halo is dry natural cat food with a holistic mix of nutritious whole meat, with non-GMO fruits and vegetables plus the essential nutrients and minerals that your cat needs to look and feel their best.
This holistic dry cat food is very digestible due to the fact that there are not any rendered meat ingredients, artificial ingredients or preservatives. Halo has included novel proteins and whole grains that even cats with sensitive stomachs will enjoy and easily digest and process.
The formulation of the fish meat is sourced from fine quality fish from Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) which is certified sustainable fisheries.
These ingredients are good for delicate stomachs and the recipe makes the texture crunchy and tasty which is good for picky eaters.
It can be difficult to ensure picky eaters get the nourishment they need but with this product, which includes taurine for healthy heart and eyes, muscle tissue and increased energy this can be a great option for cat owners.
- Includes non-GMO fruits and vegetables.
- The fish is obtained from a certified source.
- The food is highly palatable and tasty for cats.
- Free from additives and preservatives.
- The food is easily digestible.
- Recommendable for kitty, senior and adult cats.
All in all, it is worth noting that an older cat’s digestive system can be sensitive enough not to withstand different foods which makes it more difficult for you. Deciding what the right product is for your cat takes some trial and error. Starting with these recommended products will reduce some of the time of finding the right solution for your furry friend.
Each has been designed to support older cats and those with sensitive stomachs in an aim to maintain health and also to reduce cat vomiting. If the vomiting persists you should seek the advice of a veterinarian as there could be an underlying problem that won’t be resolved by a change of diet.
Having said that, for most cat owners you will find changing the diet to suit your cat’s needs throughout their lifetime will maintain them as a happy and healthy member of your family.