Cats are not known for being affectionate towards their owners. They can be pretty standoffish and even hostile at times. When you try to put your cat in a carrier, they might panic. Also, it looks like they want to scratch your eyes out.
If you’re a cat owner, you know the struggle of trying to get your cat into its carrier. Especially when your cat is nervous or stressed! It can be an absolute nightmare! So this article will tell you all about the best cat carrier for cats who hate carriers.
Here are our top picks!
- Sherpa Travel Original Deluxe Airline Approved Pet Carrier
- AmazonBasics Two-Door Top-Load Hard-Sided Pet Travel Carrier
- Cuby Dog and Cat Sling Carrier
Top 3 Best Cat Carriers for Cats Who Hate Carriers
If you’ve ever had a cat that hates being transported in a carrier, then you know how frustrating it can be. Here are our top picks for cats who hate carriers.
One of the most practical and portable pet carrier bags on the market! It is easy to carry with you when you are going out with your pet. You can use it at home or in the car as well.
You can adjust this carrier to fit your nervous cat. The bag’s top and bottom are adjustable. So you don’t need to worry about putting pressure on your pet’s neck or back. It is an airline-approved pet travel bag that comes in 3 different sizes.
- Lightweight and easy to carry. It is an excellent choice for traveling with your cats. This foldable carrier is designed for dogs and cats of all sizes.
- The soft fabric material makes it comfortable for your pets to travel in this pet carrier.
- And the safety locking zippers keep your pets safe while traveling.
- The removable bottom tray makes cleaning up after your pet easy.
- Airline-approved pet carrier bag that will fit under most airline seats.
- The zippers are sturdy and lock in place well
- It’s an airline-approved pet carrier bag.
- You can use it for cats or small dogs, even puppies.
- The top and bottom of the bag are adjustable, so you can make it fit bigger cats.
- Some customers say that the material is thin and easily torn.
It is the perfect travel buddy for you and your scared cat. It features a top and side entry with locking zippers to keep them from escaping. Mesh windows to provide ventilation when they need it most. A padded shoulder strap that can be used as luggage straps if needed. Available in three sizes to accommodate pets from 5 lbs to 20 lbs.
- It has mesh windows that allow airflow through the carrier during travel
- Padded shoulder strap that provides comfort when carrying it around
- The large side pocket can hold essential pet items.
- It also has a luggage strap so that you can secure it onto rolling luggage if needed.
1. It is roomy and very comfortable for pets
2. Easy to clean – the material can be wiped off when dirty.
3. It has a lock that keeps the pet securely inside the carrier
- Some customers complain of difficulties in putting it together.
It is a lightweight and best cat carrier for stressed cats. It is made of high-quality Oxford cloth material that is durable and sturdy. You can remove the inside lining to wash it in cold water, and the inner pad can be adjusted for your pet’s comfort. This carrier is great for transporting small dogs or cats. The top handle makes it convenient to carry it around when you travel or go on trips.
- The top and side door design of this pet carrier allows for accessible entrance and exit.
- It is also suitable for dogs, rabbits, ferrets, and other small animals like chinchillas.
- This carrier is approved by most major airlines and meets all airline regulations.
- This pet carrier can withstand heavy rain and snow without letting any water through.
1. It has a front pocket that allows you to put the pet’s food/water inside while traveling
2. It is lightweight and well-ventilated, so your pet stays cool inside the carrier
1. You have to buy a separate seat belt, as it does not come with one included.
Suitable Cat Carrier for Nervous or Stressed Cats
Carrying a cat can be stressful for both the human and the feline. For nervous or stressed cats, it may seem like an impossible task. Luckily, there are some fantastic carriers to help make this process easier for everyone involved.
Here are these:-
The AmazonBasics Two-Door Top-Load Pet Carrier makes it easy to transport your pet safely. The two front doors allow for easy access, while the top door features a handle for convenience.
This hard cat carrier also has a removable divider panel that can be adjusted as needed to accommodate pets of different sizes.
- The top-loading design allows for easy access to your pet.
- This carrier is made from durable ABS plastic, which makes it both lightweight and sturdy.
- It also has ventilation on all sides and the top and back of the crate.
- Two security latches on both doors keep the doors closed tightly while moving.
1. Can be used for pets of different sizes because it has a divider panel that will adjust to fit the size of your pet
2. It is easy to clean and maintain, as the material inside can just be wiped off when dirty
3. The latches are sturdy and secure so that you can travel with peace of mind
1. Some customers complain the carrier is not large enough for their pets
2. The top door hinge can get loose over time, although it doesn’t affect its performance
Cats adore the padded interior of this soft carrier. Cats feel uneasy in hard-floored carriers because the carrier is jostled around, enhancing their anxiety levels. In addition, it comes with a fleece pad that can be washed when needed.
You can use it at home or take it out for travel when carrying your pets. It’s easy to clean and store. Also, it has waterproof oxford cloth material. Thus you don’t have to worry about the leakage of water from rain or wet.
- This soft pet carrier has been approved by most airlines in the US. You can also use it as a car seat for your pets when driving them around town.
- The Siivton pet carrier comes with a removable fleece pad. You can wash the pad whenever you would like.
- It is made of a material that will not let the water go through. Water won’t leak out, so it is easy to keep clean.
- The four sides of the room make it large enough for your cat, dog, or rabbit to feel comfortable.
1. It is soft and easy for the cat to go in and out of.
2. The top opening zipper design makes it easier for you to put your pet inside
3. Water won’t leak through because of its unique material that keeps water out
1. It can be a little difficult to zip up if you have a large pet
Fitting Cat Carriers for Stressed or Anxious Cats
Cats that get anxious or stressed out during car rides might need their own particular cat carrier. Recommended cat carriers may be fit for your feline friend. Check on these 2 carriers!
The Cuby Dog and Cat Sling Carrier is a hands-free bag for your pets. It can be used as a sling carrier or a tote bag. The reversible design allows you to change the look of your pet carrier. You can also use it as a backpack if you need both hands free.
If you’re looking for an easy way to carry your pet around, this soft pet carrier is perfect for you! It’s made with high-quality, super soft plush fabric that will ensure your pet feels comfortable in every situation!
- It is made with high-quality soft polyester and cotton fabric
- The straps will stay on your shoulders. You don’t need to worry about them falling off or shifting.
- It also has two buckles at the top of the bag if you want to attach another leash or collar.
- This carrier is suitable for small dogs and cats weighing up to 10 lbs.
1. It is well-made, and the straps won’t fall off your shoulder
2. It is soft and comfortable to use for both you and the pet
3. The bag can be used as a sling carrier or a backpack tote
1. It isn’t effortless to wipe clean when it gets dirty
It is a fashionable and durable cat-friendly carrier. It has a unique design that allows you to carry your pet in the most comfortable way possible. The YUDODO Carrier is made of high-quality nylon fabric, which makes it waterproof and easy to clean. It also comes with an adjustable shoulder strap, so carrying your pet becomes easy even if you are on the go.
- The strap is adjustable so that it will fit any shoulder size. It makes it easy to carry your pet around.
- The shoulder strap is adjustable from 38.6 inches long to 46.5 inches long
- This carrier bag is made of high-quality nylon fabric that makes it waterproof and easy to clean
- The pet carrier bag is available in 3 different sizes. So, you can choose the one that best fits your pet.
1. You can carry your pet around in the most comfortable way
2. It is made of high-quality material that makes it durable and easy to clean. Therefore, you won’t have to worry about the replacement soon.
3. It is a fashionable bag that looks super cute with your pet inside
1. It isn’t very easy to zip up some of the cats
Things You Might Consider Before Buying a Cat Carrier
There are a lot of things to consider if you’re buying a cat carrier. The most important is the safety of both your cat and yourself. You don’t want your feline friend escaping from their crate while driving in the car, nor do you want to get scratched! So few things you might consider before
|Size of the carrier||Bigger is not always better. The size of the carrier should be proportional to your cat’s size. Don’t buy one thinking it will save money because you have more space for storing things like toys and treats inside. Buy a slightly bigger carrier if you foresee this being an issue in the future, but don’t go overboard on size just yet!|
|Comfort for your Cat||Cats are destructive animals. They can tear apart anything from cardboard boxes to prized possessions like a favorite toy or blanket. For example, if you buy a cheap cat carrier, your cat might break out of its cage and escape during transport. Cats can be pretty messy. Thus, when choosing a carrier, make sure that it’s durable enough to withstand your pet’s claws and teeth!|
|Durability||Cats are destructive animals. They can tear apart anything from cardboard boxes to prized possessions like a favorite toy or blanket. For example, if you buy a cheap cat carrier, your cat might break out of its cage and escape during transport. Cats can be pretty messy. Thus, when choosing a carrier, make sure that it’s durable enough to withstand your pet’s claws and teeth!|
|Security for your cat||Your pet should feel safe and secure in the carrier. They shouldn’t be able to get out by themselves or escape from the car while you’re driving it! For an extra level of comfort, look for padding on the bottom of the crate as well. It can make them feel more secure during car rides and when you want to put it on the ground.|
|Ease Of Cleaning||If you have an outdoor cat, you might know that they can get into all sorts of messes! Having a pet that constantly sheds hair is like having another roommate with long hair. If you don’t clean up after them quickly, they’ll be surrounded by a load of fur in no time! The last thing you want is to spend hours cleaning your carrier every time your cat gets out and leaves its fur everywhere. Some carriers are easier to clean than others, so look for the one that’s quick and easy to maintain between uses.|
|Ventilation||Cats like to be able to breathe. They want to have fresh air and feel it on their skin, so that’s why your cat carrier needs to provide a decent level of ventilation! If you’re stuck inside with no air circulation, they’ll start feeling stifled and uncomfortable.|
How Do You Get an Unwilling Cat Into a Carrier?
If your cat has never been in a carrier, they may be curious and not necessarily afraid of it. However, many cats fear entering small spaces or plastic carriers. In our experience, the easiest way to get a cat in is to present the carrier with food on top.
Do Cats Prefer Hard or Soft Carriers?
Cats seem to prefer soft carriers, possibly because they take on a more natural shape. Soft carriers also tend not to cause discomfort if your cat has sensitive skin or arthritic joints.
What Can I Use Instead of a Cat Carrier?
There are certain situations where a travel carrier will not be feasible. Cardboard box is feasible in this case. The box should be large enough for the cat to stand up, turn around and lie down in. You can use tape or other material to close off areas you might not want your animal reaching into.
Can a Cat Ride in a Car Without a Carrier?
Yes, if you are traveling short distances and have a comfortable carrier or basket available at your destination. But it is safer to transport cats in carriers for long distances, particularly on hot days. Moreover, it’s the owner’s call.
What Is the Best Way to Transport a Cat?
The best way to transport a cat is in a carrier. Cats should always be transported in an enclosed, ventilated carrier. Cardboard carriers are acceptable for short car rides only and should not be used with dogs or other animals.
Soft-sided carriers are preferable as long as they have adequate ventilation on all sides and top. Hard plastic carriers usually have only one or two small ventilation holes.
Should I Cover My Cat Carrier With a Blanket?
Yes, you should always cover your cat carrier with a blanket or towel. A blanket can keep a pet warm and calm when they are in a car or kennel. You can also use the blanket to hide noises that may scare them.
How to Get a Cat Into a Soft Carrier?
You can try these Solutions:
A. Put a blanket over it and cover the top with food
B. Put your cat in the carrier without the blanket and then put them into it while they are inside
C. Soak them in front of the carrier for a few minutes but make sure you don’t soak them for more than 10 minutes
D. Make sure your cat is hungry and then put them into the carrier after they are done eating
E. If you have another soft carrier, place it inside of their current one
There are many cat carriers for cats who hate carriers out there, but not all of them will work for every cat. Some cats may be more comfortable in an open-air carrier. In contrast, others might prefer the security and privacy that comes with a top entry carrier.
If you’re looking to buy one for your kitty friend, we recommend sticking to these three types: front opening, top entry, and open air. You can also take their personality into account when making your decision as well!